Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Minimalist Entertains - Cookbook I love

The Minimalist Entertains by Mark Bittman

I picked this up at the library as I whizzing through the aisles with my four year old, the concept of minimalist cooking..aka easy in my book..intrigued me so I grabbed it and we moved on to the children's room. (Where we got some great books, and a movie for our Friday Family Movie night. :)

When I sat down and read this cookbook, something struck me...the majority of the recipes were naturally gluten free. The book is 256 pages long, contains more than 150 recipes, and 20 recipes contain gluten (yes, I counted..I had to, for you guys!! ;). I counted the ones with pasta (easily brought to gluten free with Tinkyada), the handful of desserts (come on, a crisp? We can change that easily as well!), and the ones containing chopped bread or bread crumbs, in bread puddings, toasts for appetizers, etc.

Does 20 sound like a lot to you? Especially with some of the easy substitutions, it's probably down to under 10. It doesn't seem like much to me at all. It goes to show that good food made simply is gluten free.

I am purchasing this book, and I do not purchase many. I have a very small shelf, and do not plan to go over my storage.

I love this cookbook because it has 40 menus for entertaining, the majority of them completely gluten free, naturally, with a plan, and with some different things than I would cook. The parings for wine is in the menu plan, timing for cooking, and tips to make it successful.

And, no one sitting at the table will miss the gluten they will not realize is missing.

Cool, huh?


Cheers!!!

Mark Bittman writes for the NY Times and has a column, I am sure there are some good recipes there.

Also, here is a link on Amazon for Mark Bittman's books, I was surprised that this book has the lowest rating off all the books he has written. If this one isn't the best, I am excited to leaf through his other books, and recipes on his column.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reference! I'm adding it to my wish list at Amazon. I have Mark Bittman's book The Best Recipes in the World and have liked everything I've tried from it.

K Allrich said...

Thanks for the tip on this cookbook- I just ordered it from Amazon through your link. Can't wait to grab a mug of tea and climb in bed with it!

:)

yours in slackerhood,

Karina

kbabe1968 said...

THANKS! I'm going to see if we have it in my library.

Mrs. G.F. said...

Cashew - I am so glad to hear of another cookbook by Mark that you love too. I am going to take a look at that one out too. I love being able to read cookbooks, it was a talent my late aunt had.

Karina - Ok, such kindred spirits here. It's funny, I call you my friend, but have never spoken to you! Wish I could be with you with that cup of tea, reading and exclaiming over the different recipes and ideas together! I know you and your husband are west coast bound a lot these days (and I hope it's more and more) but if you ever hit the east coast.. CALL me! :) oxoxo

Kbabe - I hope your library carries it; I think you will really enjoy it. You seem to have a lot of company, and this might be fun. I am planning on throwing my first dinner party in the next couple of months, and I may do one of these menus..I have yet to throw a gluten free one, and I never felt well enough before to really do one. Should be fun!

:)

Sheltie Girl said...

Mark Bittman's books do look interesting. I'll have to see what my local library has in their holdings. Thanks for mentioning this one.

Sheltie Girl

Anonymous said...

Ooh, sounds good! I wonder how many of the recipes are free of my food allergens. . . .

Mrs. G.F. said...

Sally - I hope that there are a lot of recipes! But look at it first, that's why I love getting cookbooks from the library before ordering them. :)

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: