Monday, September 17, 2012

Oatmeal Date Chocolate Cookies ~ Heart Smart and Gluten Free



UPDATE September 2012: I just thought I should jump in here and let people know some changes I have made to this recipe. The one below works just fine, but my baking style has changed a little bit.

I now use only sweet sorghum flour and millet flour. I find that these 2 work just great together. Sometimes I might add a touch of almond flour, if I have it around. I barely use xantham gum anymore, I just add another egg. When I do add an egg, I might need to add more flour. This recipe does need about 1/3 more if you add an egg. Oh...and I always add some golden flax meal...for the nutrition.

Cheers, everyone, and oh, I do find that the above tips works for most of my baked goods now......

Have a great day!

I got the recipe for Oatmeal-Date-Chocolate Cookies from Health Magazine, I just changed the flours, added an egg, and a touch of xanthan gum. The resulting cookie was moist, chewy and delicious. I loved them, and my children have declared them their favorite cookies ever.

Changes? In the future I would double the recipe; they are so good you can't help but grab yet another one. These also look like they would travel well; I would prefer to pack these for a snack on a hike with an apple than any gluten free bar. I might also add nuts on occasion, but I really enjoyed the uninterrupted chewy factor.

Oatmeal Date Chocolate Cookie
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup gluten free flour ( I love a mix of: equal parts brown rice & sweet sorghum with a bit of teff)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups gluten free oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped dates
4 ounces chocolate chips
(optional: nuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter over low heat in small pot, add brown sugar, take off heat and mix well. Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, vanilla and brown sugar/butter mixture. Fold in dates, chocolate, and nuts if using. Drop tablespoon size of batter on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 12 minutes .

Cheers!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love seeing "Mrs. G.F." come up in my email. These looks wonderful and whole grain. I am doing the South Beach Diet right now, but Jude would love these. It feels good to lose that baby weight!

Sheri said...

Sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hi - I have a mold allergy, which means no dried fruits (they, grapes, grape juice and wine are moldy). Is there something that I could substitute for the chopped dates?

Thanks

Dianne said...

These look truly delicious!

:)

Carrie said...

I've been using dates in a LOT of things lately ms. Gf!! these look SO good! I wonder if michael would like them! I'll have to try them and see!! I've discovered that I really like the lighter teff flours more than the dark! I'll have to try it in this recipe!

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a wonderful job on these cookies. They sound simply delicious.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten a Go Go

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Healthy AND gluten free!

Karen said...

Hmmm, I am not usually a fan of dates, but this recipe might tempt me . . .:)

Karen
http://glutenfreefoodreviews.com

Mrs. G.F. said...

Natalie ~ Thanks. :) I have kept up with you..man, you go girl. I can't even think about giving up sugar right now!!

Sheri ~ Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)

Anon ~ Hmm, I really don't know. My guess is maybe applesauce and some gelatin??? But have No idea if it would work. Good luck!!

Dianne ~ Thank you!! And thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

Carrie ~ I adore dates. Always have..so good and sweet ..like candy. I hope he likes them..and you too!! :)

Sheltie Girl ~ Aw, shucks..thank you!! :D

JJ ~ That is what I generally shoot for!! Got to love that combo, huh? ;)

Karen ~ Give em a whirl. I adore dates, so I can't imagine not liking them, but some other dried fruit might work if you can't stand them!! :)

K Allrich said...

I just tagged this recipe in my May Gluten-Free Recipe Rodeo. ;)

Sophie said...

These look and sound delicious. I like the idea of adding dates, they're already so naturally sweet! :) Very yummy recipe :D.

Anonymous said...

Love them!!! Everyone in the house loved them including very picky non-celiacs

Mrs. G.F. said...

Allison,

I am so glad!! I have been craving them, and with a snowstorm brewing outside I just may have to make them today.

Hope you are having a great day!
Danielle

Miriam Hutt said...

Seems a hearty and delicious recipe because oatmeal and chocolate is good for the heart that contains omega 3 fatty acids right?.

Anonymous said...

Hellο! І've been following your website foor a long time now
and fіnaⅼlʏ got the bravery to go ahead and give yοu a shoᥙt out from Houѕton Tеxas!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: