Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Cornish Game Hens with Raspberry Shallot Glaze


That sounds so fancy, doesn't it? But, honestly it's a simple and fun meal. My children (ages 4 and 6) really enjoy eating this. It is very easy, and does not take long to prepare. I give proportions for the glaze, I like a lot, so I may double it if I want extra. This generally covers two hens very well.


Cornish Game Hens with Raspberry Shallot Glaze

Cornish Hens (they usually are about 1 3/4 lb each, figure 1/2 for each person, unless the hens are smaller)
olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup raspberry jam, seedless preferable

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil bottom of roasting pan. Unwrap hens, pull out giblets and place on pan. Brush some olive oil on the skin, then put a dash of salt and pepper on each. Put in oven. Roast for 35 minutes.

Heat a skillet over low heat, add some olive oil. Add chopped shallots and saute, careful not to brown, just to get soft and translucent. Add raspberry jam and balsamic vinegar. Keep on low heat, mix until a glaze forms.

Pull hens out of oven, brush glaze on, and place back in oven. Cook about 10 to 15 minutes more, or until thermometer in thickest part of thigh registers from 170 degrees to 180 degrees. let stand on platter for 10 minutes before you serve.

Cheers!!!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

These are the best kinds of recipes! This is why I love roasting a chicken! SO easy, yet so elegant!! Beautiful!! I wish you could bottle the aroma of a chicken baking! Yum!! These sound delicious!!

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds absolutely delicious and easy! Can't wait to try it!

One quick question, is balsamic vinager really gluten free? If not and a gluten free variety exists could you tell me where I could find it (online sites would be best).

Thanks a million for sharing!

Expat mom in Spain

Mrs. G.F. said...

Carrie - Thank you! Nothing beats a roasting meat in the oven, especially on a cold day! The smell is so welcoming. Cornish hens always seems so fancy, but they are really fun. especially when they are on sale at teh market.

Hi Expat Mom!!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I love this sauce, and I hope you enjoy it too.
From my understanding, balsamic vinegar is gluten free. If you do not want to use it, you could sub gluten free soy sauce. Below is an article about vinegars and what is considered safe.

Good luck and enjoy!
http://www.celiac.com/articles/329/1/Are-Distilled-Vinegars-Made-from-Wheat-Safe/Page1.html

Carrie said...

love the new design on your site SM! Looks great!!

kbabe1968 said...

Ya know. I think of myself as a cook, not a chef, but a cook. This looks AMAZING!!! You are a CHEF! :D Totally sounds like a restaurant quality meal! I can almost taste it from the pics too!

Mrs. G.F. said...

Thanks Kbabe..but they are SO easy. Not 'chef' like at all. :)

Thanks for the compliment, I think your recipes rock too!

:)

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: