Friday, August 24, 2007

Long Overdue - Veal Saltimbocca

This month has been crazy busy with entertaining and renovations, and on top of all that, I had a surprise glitch with my computer, I have not been able to get online. Without further ado, here is my recipe, photo is in the post below. And, sorry, the amounts are a little loose, it was awhile ago I made it, and I didn't have an official recipe! :)

Most veal saltimbocca is made by pounding the veal thin, and wrapping sage and prosciutto (a salty Italian ham) inside, securing with toothpicks. By making this in a stir fry style of cooking, it eliminates A LOT of the prep work. I like to make extra gravy to serve as a pasta sauce.

Veal Saltimbocca

1 lb (approximately, generally the packages are a little less than a lb) veal, cut in small strips
1/4 prosciutto, sliced thin and cut into strips
handful fresh sage leaves, cut into strips
pinch salt and pepper
olive oil
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup white wine
2 cups chicken or beef stock
1 tablespoon flour..(I forget what I used, I think I used cornstarch)

Mix 4 tablespoons of the butter and the flour, set aside for later use. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a large saute pan. Heat over high heat adding 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the veal, sage and prosciutto, stirring constantly until cooked, approx. 5 min or less. Take out of pan. Ad the white wine, stirring constantly (deglazing) pulling up the bits of cooked meat off the bottom of the pan, for about 2 minutes or until it has thickened and reduced.Once reduced add the stock, bring to a boil then add the butter and flour paste to pan, whisking well until the sauce is thick. Add the meat back into pan, stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta, making sure to get enough juices on there. Serve with grated cheese and red pepper flakes.

Cheers!

2 comments:

kbabe1968 said...

mmmmmmmmm. We have a local farm here that sells its own veal. Think I'll hit there when we pick the kids up on Friday! :D

Mrs. G.F. said...

Ok. That is SO cool.

That would make it taste so yummy. I am a bit jealous of you....I never had veal that fresh, it must be fabulous.

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: