Thursday, March 29, 2007

Flourless Chocolate Torte


I got this from epicurious. com, and changed very little. Click here for the original recipe. I have used this recipe for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and probably Easter too. It's a great easy one. Originally, I doubled the recipe and added a little liqueur of choice to it. There is a new review out, and s/he did a recipe and a half. Since everything else we did the same (the kind of chocolate especially), I thought I would try it this way. I like to add Amaretto or Frangelico to the cake. I use 1/2 Ghiradelli chocolate (dark, 60% cocoa), and half Scharffen Berger. Tastes wonderful and it's pretty easy to make. I also separate the egg whites from the yolks and whisk until frothy and fold in. Serve with whipped cream, berry coulis, fresh berries, or ice cream (try the almond one I made).

Oh, I forgot to add, that all this dark chocolate tastes great with red wine. That's what I had last night. ;)


Flourless Chocolate Torte

ingredients

6 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
Liqueur if desired


preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 9 1/2-inch round baking pan (I use springform one). Line bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.

Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add liqueur if using. Separate eggs. Add yolks and whisk well. Sift cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Whisk eggs whites and fold into batter. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven for about 27 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.

Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or coulis if desired. (Cake keeps, after being cooled completely, in an airtight container, 1 week.)


Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: