Sunday, September 25, 2011

Real Simple Magazine Cake Recipe ~ Gluten Free

I wouldn't call this recipe real simple, it's a cake from scratch, but it's not all that difficult either. This was hands down the best, the absolute best, gluten free cake I have ever had. It stayed moist as leftovers, did not turn crumbly in texture at all. No one would guess it was gluten free. I think it's the sweet rice flour that is the trick.


Sorry no pic, we ate it and enjoyed. Thought is would be better to give you the recipe instead of holding out on you, just for that. For the record, I did a double layer chocolate cake with raspberry in the middle with chocolate frosting on top. Marvelous!


I will be making this for my brother's birthday, since he just found out he has to be wheat free. Thank goodness he has ME as his sister!


Cheers!


Mrs. GF

Chocolate Cake


adapted from Real Simple, May 2011





1 cup (2 sticks butter) softened (soften extra for pans)


3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (& extra for dusting)





The Flours (2 cups total)


1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour


3/4 cup millet


1/2 cup almond flour


1/4 cup sweet rice flour





1 teaspoon baking powder


1 teaspoon baking soda


1 teaspoon kosher salt


1 1/2 cups sugar


2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


4 large eggs, room temperature


1 1/2 cups milk





Preheat oven to 350. Butter the pans and line with parchment. Butter again. Dust with cocoa powder. Put aside.

In bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Put aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.


Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.


Put batter in pans, and bake til toothpick comes out clean in center. Cool in pans, then after 15 min, take out of pans and cool on rack.


Approximate baking times as stated by Real Simple: For two 8-inch rounds: 30 to 35 minutes. For two 9-inch rounds: 25 to 30 minutes. For one 9-by-13-inch rectangle: 35 to 40 minutes. For 24 cupcakes: 20 to 25 minutes.




4 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh man. I want this. I want it now. That's definitely going to be the next thing I bake. I think I have everything I need too. Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

I want to make your cake, but I have a question!
Is the millet a flour or just seeds?

It really doesn't say, either way!

Thank you.

Gail Brandt

Mrs. G.F. said...

Millet Flour. Good luck!

Thank you for posting & I hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

hi to all myglutenfreecookbook.blogspot.comers this is my first post and thought i would say a big hello to yous -
speak soon
garry moore

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: