Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Molten Lava Cakes ~ Gluten Free


My mother got a card with this recipe, and there is nothing on there for me to give proper credit. The recipe is too good not to share. My family and I really enjoyed it, and it was quite easy.
I liked mine topped with ice cream and would consider adding shredded coconut, nuts, or liqueur next time I made these.

Also, I did get tagged a few times for a meme, I will do it, I just do not have time right now, I barely got this recipe out! Thanks for the attention and I will get back to you!!

Molten Lava Cake

4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375. Melt chocolate and butter together, over double boiler (or take a pan of boiling water and place a bowl on top to melt them in together..and some might like to use a microwave). After they have both melted, take off the heat and add 2 tablespoons sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla. Mix.

Separate eggs. In separate bowl beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add the 2 remaining tablespoons of sugar, beat about 2 minutes longer.

Fold in the egg whites into the chocolate until just combined. Get 4 ramikins, 6 ounces, and place on baking sheet. Divide batter between the ramikins and bake for about 22-25 minutes.
And eat!

Cheers!!





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful dish and beautiful recipe! Jude will love his own individual ramekin too.

xoxo

Sheltie Girl said...

Your lava cakes look simply scrumptious and perfect for Valentine's Day.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Anonymous said...

I made these for Valentine's Day and my Hubby says 'Thank you' ! They were very rich, but oh so very gooood!

Anonymous said...

yummity, yum, yum. nothing better on a cold winter day than molten lava chocolate =)

Anonymous said...

These are delicious, but aren't "molten" as some other recipes are which have a liquid center. Easy to make, but it would be helpful if the recipe was clarified to say 4 T. sugar separated (the sugar addition is listed twice the first time), and 2 egg whites instead of 2 eggs so you don't wonder if you are going to use the egg yolks in the chocolate mixture. Rich and delicious!

Mrs. G.F. said...

Natalie ~ Thank you! I wish I could take full credit for the recipe, but I can't!! :)

Sheltie Girl~ They are delish, I must say!! Great for a chocolate craving!

HealthyFishies ~ I am SO glad you enjoyed them!! Happy Valentine's Day! And thank you for giving me the feedback to know that you liked them, it's so nice to hear.

Mary Frances ~ :grin: You bet!! Happy Valentine's Day!!

Anon ~ Thanks for commenting. If you want them to be molten, then write down the time you cooked them, and cook them less next time, they should be cooked to be liquid in the center. Ovens and containers do vary, I can't compensate for that.

As far as clarifying the recipe, I read through new recipes completely, then take notes to suit myself.

I am sorry about the sugar twice! And, I have done these again and threw the egg yolks in the chocolate batter and they came out great, so I added them in as well. (I hate throwing out food!)

I have redone the directions, omitting the sugar, and adding in the egg yolks. So, thanks for pointing that out.


Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

These turned out Molten at 20 minutes for me. They were perfect! It is funny though, I never have been able throw a good yolk away either. I just added them to our scrambled egg "burritos" this morning. Next time I will certainly plop them into the chocolate ~ anything to make them richer -OH MY.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that looks sooo good! Aaah, and I love those little ramekin thingies.
Melissa

kbabe1968 said...

MMMMMM...That looks yummy! :D

Carrie said...

That is beautiful and I can't wait to try it! it looks similar to the individual chocolate cakes that steve made on valentines!! I am SO drooling!!! Great picture!!

celticjig said...

I have been looking for just such a recipe! I bet some raspberry puree would be great with it (of course I think raspberry puree is good with almost any sweet!) or coconut ice cream. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really nice

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: