Monday, September 17, 2007

Apple Quinoa Muffins - Quick and Easy

I made Banana-Quinoa Muffins awhile back, and I thought that this version might be good. And it is! Now that there is gluten free oatmeal available, you can put that in instead of the quinoa if you like. When I get my order in, I think I might put a bit of both in there!

Next version I will try will be pumpkin, with oatmeal and pecans. Yum! I think this recipe is very flexible, so experiment with what you have on hand.

Apple-Quinoa Muffin

1/2 cup applesauce - unsweetened
1 apple - chopped
2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
1 egg
1/2 cup fat free milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
1/3 cup sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup chopped pecans/walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375. Combine applesauce with wet ingredients, mix well, I add the apples in here. Mix dry ingredients in another bowl, I put the nuts in here. Put dry ingredients into the wet, and mix until combined, don't stir too much! Grease or put muffin liners in pan, spoon batter evenly into 12 cups. Bake about 16 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.


Cheers!!

8 comments:

~M said...

These sound seasonal and delicious. Are they moist or do they dry out quickly? Maybe I'll add a spoon of almond flour/meal for moisture.

Anonymous said...

These do sound delicious! I just bought quinoa flakes and will try these this week. I am in the mood to bake! I figure whatever I don't think we will eat, I will just freeze.

K Allrich said...

These sound yummy- and just in time for apple season. ;)

Mrs. G.F. said...

m - These aren't dry and crumbly, yet they aren't very moist either. I bet that adding the flour wouldn't hurt, and may help. If they are awesome that way, let me know, then I will try it too!

Natalie - You have been on a baking streak. I froze a bunch of them, and will be defrosting tomorrow, I will let you know how they turn out.

Karina - Always great to see a comment from you. ;)

Carrie said...

I can't wait to try these Ms. GF! I've tried 3 or 4 GF muffin recipes and I haven't found one I LOVE yet... I hope these do the trick! I just tried my first bowl of quinoa hot cereal yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised! I can't wait to try the muffins! Thank you for the recipe and all the great gluten-free help!!

Mrs. G.F. said...

Carrie - My pleasure. I am so glad you stopped by, and commented. I have to say, I love these muffins. They are my personal favorite so far.

And, they do freeze very well. Although I have yet to hit a gluten free goodie that doesn't freeze well.
:)

Anonymous said...

Carrie- You should also try Mrs. G.F.'s donut muffins! They are yummy.

Rebekah said...

Could I use quinoa flour instead of the flakes, do you think?

Get email alert when there is a new post.

Enter your email address: